Saturday 21 February 2015

THE PLACEBO EFFECT CONTINUES. FOUR MORE SURVIVORS.

What's occurrin' then?

Well, it's been half-term here in the principality and Dad's been in charge of entertainment. After fun days out, where my daughter seems to spend all of my money, we've settled down most nights to play Zombicide. I find because it's a co-operative game, it brings you all together to act as a team, rather than a competetive game which usually ends in sulking, tears or both. Who would have thought that the zombie apocalypse could bring the family closer together.

Let's kick off by attempting to bring a little culture to the world of zombies, with another fine piece of zombie art. This is another great example of Bryan Baugh's amazing work and is called Zombie Slumber Party. Enjoy!

ZOMBIE SLUMBER PARTY.

Well it looks like the placebo effect has lasted at least one more week. I've managed another four survivors, even though it's been half-term. Long may it last, the placebo effect not half-term.

As I type, I'm still waiting on my Zombicide Toxic/Prison paint set by Army Painter. (I'm not impressed Amazon, they were ordered Tuesday night) I liked the core set so much I ordered the next one, to expand my stock of squeezy bottle paints and give me a bigger colour range. Although these have been developed with Toxic City Mall (TCM) and Prison Outbreak (PO) in mind they will work nicely on other figures, be they zombies or survivors, just as well.

At the same time as I ordered the paint set, I also ordered a trade paperback of a zombie comic called '68. It's set the year that Night of the Living Dead came out and runs with the premise that it was a real event. So various places and events through history are affected by the zombie uprising such as the Vietnam War. It sounds like a great idea, unfortunately despite saying it had a 2 to 3 day delivery time, this hasn't turned up either.

Anyway, enough moaning from me, let's get on with the show and tell. Four survivors again this time, looks like I'm on a roll.

LET'S SEE IF THESE GUYS CAN SURVIVE LONGER THAN THE REST.

OK, so the first guy is another Studio plastic zombie torso and legs with WGF arms and head. I gave this dude's guns a little special treatment. In Zombicide there is an equipment/weapon card with a pair of gold plated automatic pistols, these are called the "Evil Twins". This guy's got them. Second dude in line is my final fat guy. If my sculpting was any better he would not be wearing flip-flops, but he does have a grenade launcher. Next fella is another unfortunate desk jockey, again this pose is difficult to change without some major surgery. I just gave him a single handed melee weapon to look different to the others. Final victim, I mean survivor, is another suit with a pistol. These are handy to use as detectives or government agents and others of that ilk.

FATTY'S ARSE IS OUT AGAIN. CAREFUL, I RESEMBLE THAT REMARK!

What I am quite pleased with is my gap filling on the fat guys shoulders, I know you wouldn't have noticed, if I hadn't said anything but to get him to hold that grenade launcher with two hands was a real pain in the arse. Still, it's done now.

I'm almost at the end of my survivors, there's some cops to come and a few zombies made out of the last sprue, but I think I've only got another two or three survivor types left. Time to get me some of them women.

Well that's all I got for now dudes and dudettes. So until next time, you try and do what the DUDE does, and "take it easy".



28 comments:

  1. great minis! I really like the one in the yellow top - a very natural pose that is hard to get sometimes with plastic multipose figures. Makes me want to cut mine up to make a copy of it......

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks CW.
      He's a kitbash, I find that when you cut arms etc. to fit, the angle you cut the faces to be glued can alter the final look of the pose. I always use really small pieces of blu-tac to "dry fit" and check my poses before gluing.

      Delete
  2. Those survivors are looking good- the yellow shirt on the chap with two pistols is a good colour- I hate painting yellow!

    It is a pet peeve of mine with the Wargames factory survivors are so prescriptive in what combinations to use, I want options damnit! Looking forward to your next offerings...

    ReplyDelete
  3. Thanks Chris.
    I find that now I only use a white undercoat, yellow isn't so bad to paint. I know what you mean about the combinations, some of them need major surgery to alter properly. And better sculpting skills than I have, but at around 50p a figure I'm not complaining too much.

    ReplyDelete
  4. First up, I love that painting of Bryan's. It's clearly not a St Trinian's dorm that the zombies are raiding! Conversions are all excellent and I recognised the Evil Twins before you even mentioned them. It's great to know that Zombicide can bring the family together.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Bryan.
      I think Bryan Baugh has a really different but very cool style. No, I don't think it's a St Trinian's dorm. The Evil Twins are pretty iconic to us Zombiciders. I just love the co-operative side of the game, it really rewards teamwork.

      Delete
  5. Bob you're really making it difficult not to buy these plastic minis. I wasn't impressed with the figures when they were first released but your paint-jobs, conversions and excellent postings are making them an extremely tempting purchase. Please stop :-) As to '68, I must say my first impressions are very favourable, so I think you'll find the wait worth it. If you can, have a look for "Rot & Ruin" by "IDW Publishing". Ignore the cover art and have a look inside as I think you might like this Zed survival comic too.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Bk.
      I find plastic an excellent medium to kitbash and convert, even with my nonexistent sculpting skills I can get some OK results. At roughly 50p a figure it doesn't matter too much if you cock up the odd one. Good to hear your first impressions about '68. I'll be sure to check out "Rot & Ruin", thanks for the heads up.

      Delete
  6. Good conversions Bob, although the survivor set is pretty descriptive in what you can and can't macth, added in some, plastic Zeds, Vixens, Mantics and Studios figures and there are a great possibilities.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Joe.
      Yeah, they can be a little samey if you just stick to the boxset, adding other stuff and thinking outside the box does indeed increase the amount of possibilities to be wrought from this nice, yet inexpensive set. Can't wait to get my hands on the ladies now.

      Delete
  7. Great minis... to use a studio zombie torso was a great ide Dude :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Andre.
      Had to do something a little different, they were starting to look very similar to each other.

      Delete
  8. Nice conversions. I know what you mean about the flip flops. Only thing I can come up with is to chop the boots off a zombie and swap them over :D The first one with the zombie torso is my favourite of this bunch especially with his Evil Twins :0

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Simon.
      I did think about that but at the moment I don't have any zombie (or other donor figure) with boots on. Studio plastic zombies make cool survivor conversions.

      Delete
  9. Keep up with the placebo, 'cos it sure is bringing about some great results dude!

    Nice work, Bob. The new brushes seem to be working well?
    Finding a brush type/manufacturer can be difficult sometimes and the wrong mix can really throw you off your game, I find.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Roy.
      Yes, they seem to be doing the job. They're really good for a pound each.

      Delete
  10. You are doing very well by the plastic survivor set Bob. I must say i always enjoy a little crowbar action myself. I think you will find that the squeeze bottles are light years ahead of any of the GW paint pots.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Robert.
      It's a nice little box of survivor fun. Crowbars are at home opening doors and skulls, great dual purpose piece of kit. I much prefer the squeezy bottles already, the paint is a more consistant product because of them and there's little waste.

      Delete
  11. Wonderful additions to the ranks of the survivors Bob, great job Sir.

    ReplyDelete
  12. Some great poses once again, how you got that figure looking like Fran I'll never know!! You know which one I mean???

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Ray.
      I take it you mean the heavy set fellow with the cheeky smile.

      Delete
  13. Nice work, the guy with the golden guns is...well, golden! Now I know what colour the weapon of the next survivor I paint will be.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Mathyoo.
      They are classed as "pimp" weapons in Zombicide. Meaning you can only get them if you search the pimpmobile. I think there's new ones coming in the next season, slightly different in that you get them by killing V.I.P. zombies. Who doesn't want a pink assault rifle?

      Delete
  14. Whoa forget the cool art work, make that into a movie why don't ya! Zombie Slumber Party Massacre with Tarantino at the helm!!! ;)

    Hmmmm, that's a pretty interesting concept for a comic, seems like good reading. Nice work on your latest set of survivors by the way.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks F.E.M.
      That's an awesome idea, I'd definitely watch it. Tarantino would be a good call for the director.
      Now '68 has arrived, I have to say it's excellent! Beautiful product and art, well worth reading.

      Delete
  15. Dude, once again a great addition to your survivors. I've been plagiarizing your asphalt bases.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Bf.
      Yours look better than mine dude!

      Delete