Friday 6 March 2015

COPS. WHAT YOU GONNA DO WHEN THEY COME FOR YOU ?

What's occurrin' then?

The bunker has been quite chaos free this week, somethings wrong then. I did manage to get some painting in as well as a little more reading. Apart from that things have been unnervingly quiet around here, it's probably the calm before the storm.

Let's continue on our quest to bring some much needed culture to the world of zombies. So once again I present you with a wonderful piece of art from the very talented Bryan Baugh. This piece is a tribute to Herbert West and the Re-animator series of films, and is titled simply Re-animator. Enjoy!

RE-ANIMATOR.

Before I forget and charge off, I have to get the welcome wagon out of storage. It's been a while so it needs dusting off and oiling. We've two new followers to welcome this time. First up on deck is Hil &Steve, my first couple, can't find a blog for you guys. Give me a shout if you have one. So a big BZA welcome for Hil & Steve. WELCOME GUYS! Second on the welcome wagon is Gordon Richards, he runs the "I have wrought my simple plan" blog, very cool it is too. Another big BZA welcome for Gordon. WELCOME GORDON! Strap yourselves in people it's gonna be a long ride.

Now I've bought the ATZ : FFO rule book and even read through it (once), I now know you need a few more things than just survivors and zombies. One of these things is a police presence, to that end I've got together my first group of cops.

Three of these guys are made up from the male survivors box set from Wargames Factory and the other is the "Phil" figure from Zombicide season 1.

CROW VALLEY'S COUNTY SHERRIFF'S FINEST.

OK from left to right we have Sgt. Bob Gorman (WGF), Deputy Shane Walsh (everyone says the Phil figure is a not-Rick Grimes, I disagree and think he makes a much better not-Shane [take that Sheldon]), Deputy O'Donnell (WGF) and Deputy Lamson (WGF). I painted them all in a generic county sherriff's uniform, similar to the uniform worn by Rick and Shane in the first season of The Walking Dead T.V. show.

They are all fairly well armed with pump action shotguns, except Deputy O'Donnell who is the designated sniper, so he gets the scoped bolt action rifle. They all have holstered pistols as back up.

NOTHING TO SEE HERE, EXCEPT PAINTED REARS.

I guess that's what I'm going to call my imaginary small town USA, Crow Valley. It's what the name of my hometown means in English, thought it would work quite well on the other side of the Atlantic also.

In my last post's comments, one of my regular commentors kind of said he wondered what the artwork was like inside '68. So Four Eyed Monster, these next few pictures are just for you. I'm sure other viewers will also take some pleasure from them too.

Cover art from the second issue of the series featuring a zombie Jimi Hendrix.



A splash page from the third installment.


A splash page from the fourth installment.



Cover art from the second printing of issue one.



Well that's all I've got for now dudes and dudettes. So until next time you all try and do as the DUDE does, and "take it easy".


31 comments:

  1. Nice one, Bob. I always have prefered the brown uniformed law agencies in the US - but I think they need to change their uniform to include flip flops! Think about painting some more of those WGF flip flops... :))

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Roy.
      I like these as the county sherriffs uniform but I think they're a little far from the beach for flip flops.

      Delete
  2. Wow thats a fine looking cop unit.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Andre.
      They just need some transport now.

      Delete
  3. Giid use if the WGF figures Bob, along with the Zombicide figure, they do look the part.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Joe.
      The WGF survivors box set is extremely versatile.

      Delete
  4. Hi Bob.
    I have fond memories of the "Re-animator" film so I loved Bryan's take on it.

    Steve and Hils are very close friends of mine. They don't have a blog-site (yet) but they do have a couple of websites, including one for Chibi gaming. Perhaps I'd better keep that to myself as I know you're not a big fan of Chibi stuff.

    The cops you've done are great. I agree that Phil looks far more like Shane than Rick from "The Walking Dead."

    You picked a nice selection of pictures from "68" to showcase the excellent artwork. It must have been a tough choice deciding what to include.

    Finally, inspired by your reviews I have ordered both Zombicide paint sets from Amazon UK. I'll let you know what I think of them after I've used them.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Bryan.
      Re-animator was a fun movie, introducing a great character in Herbert West. It's one of my favourite H.P.Lovecraft stories.
      Yeah, not a big fan of Chibi.
      Phil makes a great not-Shane, I prefer Studio's take on Rick.
      It was a tough choice on what to show, it's all so good.
      Good to hear your taking the plunge on the Zombicide paint sets, there is a third one called the Survivor set. It would be great to hear your opinion of them Dude.

      Delete
  5. That is a great not-Shane who was a favorite character of mine from the TV show. I'm impressed with your WGF cops I didn't realize you could make some from that set. They make great deputies for middle America. You are tempting me with the wonderful zombies eating hippies artwork.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Rob.
      The Zombicide Phil is a dead(sic) ringer for Shane. I liked him too, shame they had to kill him off. The WGF set is good for all sorts.
      '68 is well worth a look IMHO, besides hippies are tasty dude!

      Delete
  6. Thank you kindly for the welcome, sir. I'm holding on tight and ready to go!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Gordon.
      No worries, it's going to take a while.

      Delete
  7. Absolutely cracking stuff Bob. You really are making that "Wargames Factory" set tempting. I've popped it on my list for Salute. Great paintjobs. I've just read "'68 Jungle Jim" #1 and can safely say the artwork you've posted is a lot better than in my book. Glad you're enjoying yourself :-)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Bk.
      The WGF survivors set is pretty good, value for money and reasonably versatile. Plus you get a whole sprue of spare equipment. I've already ordered '68 : Scars. I really enjoyed the first tpb. The artwork was splash pages, maybe that was the difference.

      Delete
  8. Great job on Crow Valley's finest. The Smokey Bear hat the officer on the left is wearing is a must for a small-town sheriff's department.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Finch.
      It certainly is, just didn't want to give them all the same head, so I went with a couple of b-ball caps.

      Delete
  9. a great addition to the ranks. I did the same thing before I started my campaign in that I looked at all the types of encounters I could have and made sure that I had figures to cover them. Police are a must!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks CW.
      It seemed the sensible thing to do. Hopefully these are the first of several police patrols.

      Delete
    2. This comment has been removed by the author.

      Delete
  10. The browns of the uniforms are spot on. May I enquire what paints you used for the uniforms? I found the zombie depiction of Hendrix creepy. But that's just me. For some reason, I find zombie versions of already dead persons to be a tad disturbing. Silly I know! My painted version of zombie Spock was done when he was still alive. Now, that piece I did just weirds me out.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks F.E.M.
      The paints I used for the uniforms were Rhinox Hide (GW) for the dark brown and Karak Stone (GW) for the shirt.
      Zombies are supposed to be creepy!
      Maybe you are a zombie painting fortune teller?

      Delete
  11. Really cool looking cops Bob- your are certainly getting through the survivors pretty efficiently!

    I am enjoying '68 too- it is a really interesting concept. Has given me more than a few ideas!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Chris.
      Yeah, nearly finished the box now. Just a few zombies left to paint, made seven from the last sprue in the box.
      I thought '68 was great, so good I ordered the second volume last Wednesday. It would be cool to hear your ideas dude.

      Delete
  12. Cool State troopers/police officers. You definitely need some law and order to spice up scenario or even start your survivor teams.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks cedric.
      The ATZ rules say you have to them for encounters, along with soldiers and gangers. So much more to paint.

      Delete
    2. This comment has been removed by the author.

      Delete
  13. Great bunch of cops! I like how they all match in size it surprised me I was expecting the zombicide survivors to be a lot larger. I like the fact you have gone for different heads as well. I didn't think to use both the baseball cap heads they work so well.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Simon.
      I don't think the size difference is that much tbh, it's not much of an issue anyway. The "sniper" had to have a backwards b-ball cap. I used different heads because I didn't want them all to be clones.

      Delete
  14. Nice to read your article! I am looking forward to sharing your adventures and experiences.
    flip flops bulk

    ReplyDelete