Wednesday 30 April 2014

JUGGERNAUT (OUTPOST 0.5)

No not the comic character, but a novel by Adam Baker. His second book in the Outpost trilogy. It's a prequel to Outpost, but all of them can be read as stand alones. Now I really liked Outpost and was curious how this was going to work, but it's all fine as the novels don't share any characters (except for the zombies), they are just set in the same world and timeline. It's been a while since my last book review, justing proving I can still read, so hopefully I can remember what to do.


Ok let's give you the blurb.

THEY SEARCHED FOR GOLD. THEY FOUND DEATH. IRAQ 2005.

Seven mercenaries journey deep into the desert in search of Saddam's gold. They form an unlikely crew of battle-scarred privateers, killers and thieves, veterans of a dozen war zones, each of them anxious to make one last score before their luck runs out.

They will soon find themselves marooned among ancient ruins, caught in a desperate battle for their lives, confronted by greed, betrayal and an army that won't stay dead......

Well where shall I start? Good pacing to start then when the action kicks off it just gathers momentum, forcing me to turn pages at breakneck speed. You can see that the author has written screenplays, this would translate to the screen very well.
Good strong female leads, quite a plausible plot, several examples of treachery and a really nice bad guy. All that and zombies.Plenty of "infected" action.

This novel takes you to the source of the outbreak first documented in Outpost, it's not your usual source, some people may disagree but I found this to be a fresh and likeable twist.

The third novel in this series is called Terminus, I cannot wait to get my hands on it, which should say something about how much I enjoyed this one.
If you want a good action packed zombie novel with a new and different slant on the usual, then look no further. I would not hesitate to recommend it to any of my viewers. Out of ten, this gets an 8.5 well worth your time and money. Can't comment on the price as I borrowed it off a mate.

Until the next time dudes and dudettes, listen to the DUDE and "take it easy".




8 comments:

  1. I have read Adam's first novel "Outpost" and quite enjoyed it, although I wasn't awfully keen on his metallic zombies. Even so, I shall definitely be buying this sequel and I have already added it to my Amazon wish list. They are selling the paperback version for just over a fiver. Good review, Bob, and you've convinced me to buy it.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Bryan.
      Glad you liked the review. Even though you weren't keen on the metallic zombies I hope you find the source of the outbreak interesting, I certainly did.

      Delete
  2. Now that sounds like my sort of fodder, we definitely be looking out for that.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I read Outpost as one of my first "zombie" books and really enjoyed it, this could be worth a look too then by the sound of it.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. This was a cracking read, IMO better than Outpost which I thoroughly enjoyed.

      Delete
  4. Hey Bob. Thanks for the review, I really enjoted Outpost too, in which Adam definitely gave the zombies a sci-fi edge. He's a big fan of 80' movies and it shows in his work, in a good way, sounds like the prequel is also well worth reading

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. No worries Adam.
      That's cool to know, it's well worth reading dude.

      Delete