Thursday 14 August 2014

HORSEMAN'S DELI

My second card scenery build. (I'm not counting my log cabin as it's not complete). This was a much bigger project, comprising two pages of instructions and three pages of parts to assemble.

REMEMBER TO READ THE INSTRUCTIONS
The printouts were glued to cereal box card as before, using spray glue. Then weighted down for the recommended drying time. There was a little issue with some glue overspray, nothing that can't be ignored.

All the bits were then cut out with a modelling knife and steel ruler as per the instruction sheet. Everything that needed scoring was scored with the same tools.

SOME OF THE PRINTOUT WRINKLED DURING GLUING.SOMETHING TO WATCH OUT FOR.
I then used a glue stick to glue and assemble the build, at this point I found the use of clothes pegs to hold the drying parts together invaluable. Following the instructions, everything sailed along smoothly with no major issues. I did find the air-con unit a little fiddly but nothing that could not be overcome.

LOOKING A LITTLE BLUE.
I was gaining confidence with every stuck down seam and flap, I don't know if I'm ready to do what Bryan does (make the interiors playable, the doors open and the windows see-thru) but I'm quite happy to build the basic kits.

BORING SIDE VIEW SHOWING THE IMPERFECTIONS.
As can be seen the edges still need to blacked with a marker pen. I know it's early days, but I'm  going to be studying Vampifans build posts and might even quiz the legend himself for some inside info on his techniques.

ISOMETRIC BACK VIEW.

I think I can truthfully say I'm a card model convert. Even these basic, free models has a nice level of detail and they cost a fraction of the price of plastic or resin kits, allowing the entire gaming surface to be covered in these models for next to nothing. Let's hope the vehicles go together just as easily.

SIDE BY SIDE TO SHOW THE SCALE DIFFERENCE.
As you can see in the final photo, the difference in scale is way too noticeable for my liking, I'll use it "for now" but it will be replaced at some point in the future.

WITH ADDED ZOMBIES FOR FLAVOUR.

That's all I got for this time dudes and dudettes, until next time try and follow the DUDE'S example and "take it easy".



16 comments:

  1. The Deli looks great, Bob. Feel free to ask for any advice you might need. I'm always happy to help out.
    Seeing both buildings side by side makes you realise how out of scale the Drake's Radio Shack is. It is way too small.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Bryan.
      I'm sure to be in touch soon for some wisdom.
      Yeah, it is way too small, going to try and resize it at some point.

      Delete
  2. Cracking job on your first couple of buildings Bob, well done. Interiors are a whole new level, however imo, well worth the effort if you can explore that option

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Adam.
      I think I'll build a couple more before interiors are even attempted.

      Delete
  3. Well, done Bob, your card-fu is strong and gettihg stronger.
    I may have mis-read you, but are your edging after the build ? You should really edge all the bits before yuou stick them together.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Joe.
      Yes, I'm edging after the build. Thank you for pointing out the error of my ways, I will edge before assembly on the next one.

      Delete
  4. It looks great Bob. Perfectly playable! Besides I'm sure you can find some tiles somewhere to represent interiors and just have them to one side when characters enter them.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Simon.
      They'll do for now, interiors will be attempted in the near future. The tiles are a good idea though.

      Delete
  5. Great job, Bob! Don't sell yourself short, they might be "basic", but reading your post it looks like it's not as easy to put them together as it seems, after all.

    And ha, I totally get what you mean with the scale now - does it itch? :D

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Mathyoo.
      It's not too bad to construct the kits, Bryan just takes it to another level.
      Yeah the scale's way off on the one, it certainly makes me want to scratch.lol.

      Delete
  6. Good job on the card builging dud...
    Looks hard.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Andre.
      It's not too bad, just have to get used to the techniques involved.

      Delete
  7. Those are pretty swell, now you need to give them interiors.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks BF.
      Interiors are the next level, but ultimately the goal.

      Delete