Friday 29 August 2014

MAGICLEEN DRY CLEANERS AND THE START OF A THING.

Before we get started I'm going to introduce a new "thing" in an attempt to bring some culture to this blog. Zombie art, no not pictures drawn by zombies, but pictures with zombies in them. Hopefully some of this culture will rub off on you, my visitors and commentors, meaning we all leave here as more rounded and improved individuals. So without further ado, I give you some zombie art.

SEND MORE COPS.

I'm going to continue with my card modelling adventures again this time. I must admit to having developed quite a fondness for this particular part of the hobby. Even though it can be a little tricky at times, I'm reasonably pleased with my progress.

So this is from the same download as "Horseman's Deli", the build is the same, just using the alternative signs that come with the kit. Again this was downloaded from Wargame Vault for free. Bonus.

REMEMBER TO READ THE INSTRUCTIONS KIDS.
Things went even better the second time around. The printouts were sprayglue mounted on to cardboard, I find used cereal boxes to be quite adequate for this, giving me a very cheap source of material. The pieces were then cut out using a steel ruler and a very sharp craft knife.

EVERYTHING CUT OUT READY TO GLUE.
I find gluing the pieces together with a glue stick, rather than PVA, speeds up the process. You don't have to wait very long for it dry, I still like to use clothes' pegs to hold things together for 10 minutes before moving on to the next stage. The build went very smoothly, being the second time I've built it in as many weeks, and I read the instructions (this bit is really important).

FRONT VIEW OF MAGICLEEN.

So basically you get a very similar building to the "Deli", with different signs. There are a few other ways to make them look different, such as leaving off the roof top room, not using the same advertising signs and not including the roof top aircon unit.

ISOMETRIC FRONT/SIDE VIEW.
I still haven't made the interior playable on this one, I'm taking that leap on my next build. In the future when my skills have improved sufficiently, I'll definitely be coming back to these first couple of builds and re-doing them with playable interiors.
ISOMETRIC BACK/SIDE VIEW.
I finally got a Sharpie (black permanent marker) to edge my builds, as these were already built I had to "retro-edge"(yes, I just made that up) them. Luckily I'm rebuilding these, as the "retro-edging" went a bit tits up.

SIDE BY SIDE TO SHOW DIFFERENCES.

Also made a little kitbash shed from the rooftop building on "Horseman's Deli".

FRONT OF SHED.

WINDOWS FROM DERELICT WAREHOUSE KIT (STOELZEL'S).

Well that's all I got for this time dudes and dudettes, so until next time heed the DUDE and "take it easy".















14 comments:

  1. For free buildings, the "Horseman's Deli" is very useful. I have been considering building a few more and trying to do an interior for them. The small shack on top is great for a utility shed, etc.

    Great job!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thanks Steve.
    Four to six of these would make a nice strip mall effect, just need some more signage.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Replies
    1. Thanks Andre.
      The finishing's a little shoddy, good practice though.

      Delete
  4. Both good additions to any terrain; I'm very dubious about the roof-shed though (its purpose and access)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Joe.
      It does look sinister, now you mention it.

      Delete
  5. The dry cleaning store looks very good, Bob. The roof top shed serves two purposes - one is a covered access to the roof and more importantly, it is an extra storeroom. I like your idea of making one of those rooftop add-ons as a separate shed.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Bryan.
      I think I may have misunderstood Joe's comment.
      I didn't want them to look the same and the shed was just looking at me needing to be used.

      Delete
  6. Brilliant job Bob you'll soon have your town populated with buildings in no time at all. Looking forward to seeing one with interiors in and good luck with this next stage.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Simon.
      Hopefully things can continue at this pace.
      My next build has a playable interior, it's the next planned post.

      Delete
  7. Well don Bob you're getting rather handy with the cereal box card. I like the second story much better as a stand alone building.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Robert.
      Cereal box card is where it's at dude!
      It makes a nice little shed.

      Delete
  8. Looking good Bob and well done for following the instructions sir!

    ReplyDelete
  9. Thanks Adam.
    I always RTFM now.

    ReplyDelete