I've started work on the wonderful free download by Carl Stoelzel, it's to accompany Crooked Dice's 7ombie TV I believe, anyway it's my first go at card modelling and no amputated digits yet.
As it was my first attempt at card modelling I only printed it on to regular paper, figuring that mistakes would be made and it would be a waste of tidy paper. I wasn't wrong..
I decided to stick the floor to 5mm foamboard for "strength and stability" reasons. The rest of the templates were stuck to cereal packets as I had no mounting board. All this was accomplished without reading the instructions. The internal walls were stuck to slightly thicker card from a cat biscuit box. Again without reading the instructions. What could go wrong.
Well after reading the instructions I realised what I did wrong, that's OK I thought the walls will be extra sturdy, hmm. Folding the card over, even after scoring was challenging but not impossible. However sticking the floor to the foamboard left an unsightly white tab around the base of the walls. Bugger! Never mind I'll sort that out with something.
The best bit came, when after the rest had gone relatively smoothly, I put the end walls on and realised that there had been some kind of printer malfunction and one of the walls had printed out a little short. Arse.
I can't wait to do the roof, as I stuck that to foamboard as well. Great! Oh well back to the drawing board.
That's all the fun and frollicks for this time. 'til next time do as the DUDE and "take it easy".